Do you receive income from a furnished residential property? Claim wear and tear allowance.

Please note: This tax relief is no longer available. Read our guide ‘An essential guide to landlord tax‘, it covers what you need to know as a landlord. Do you receive income from a furnished residential…

5 Minute Read

Last Updated: 23rd March 2023

Please note: This tax relief is no longer available. Read our guide ‘An essential guide to landlord tax‘, it covers what you need to know as a landlord.

Do you receive income from a furnished residential property? If so, you may be eligible to claim what is known as the ‘wear and tear allowance.’ Let us explain.

What is a furnished residential letting?

Firstly, we must look at what constitutes a furnished letting, because after all, if your property doesn’t qualify as a HMRC approved ‘furnished letting,’ you won’t qualify for wear and tear allowance. So, legislation states that a furnished residential property must have “sufficient furniture, furnishings and equipment for normal residential use.” Basically, this means that a tenant should be able to move into a house that is totally liveable, containing such things as wardrobes, drawers, beds, tables etc. Obviously there is no need to stock the fridge with food for the coming months, but basic essentials are a must for a furnished letting. So where does this wear and tear allowance fit in?

What is the 10% wear and tear allowance and what does it cover?

The 10% wear and tear allowance is designed so landlords can claim a relief for the depreciation of plant and machinery within a residential property. The wear and tear allowance is 10%, and you calculate this by taking 10% of the net rent received for the furnished residential letting. To work out net rent, you must deduct charges and services that would usually be borne by a tenant but are in this case, borne by the taxpayer (such as water and sewerage, council tax etc).

The 10% wear and tear allowance covers the cost of the extra furnishings you wouldn’t expect to find in a furnished letting, and certainly wouldn’t get in an unfurnished letting, such as cutlery, carpets and a television etc. But then again, this is where confusion is caused, because after all, what is an ‘extra’ furnishing, and what is essential?

Here are some examples of furnishings covered by the wear and tear allowance:

  • beds
  • televisions
  • fridges and freezers
  • carpets and curtains
  • linen
  • crockery and cutlery
  • cookers and dishwashers etc.


In addition to the 10% wear and tear allowance, there’s also a ‘renewals basis.’ Basically, if you need to renew or repair any fixtures or fittings that are an essential part of your furnished residential property, then you can deduct the net cost. The net cost is the cost of the replacement minus any amount received for the old furnishing. The renewals basis covers the same types of furnishings as wear and tear allowance, but be warned, if you have already claimed wear and tear or capital and machinery allowance on said furnishings, then you cannot claim on a renewals basis!

How GoSimpleTax can help

You may be asking yourself, how does GoSimpleTax make this easier? Well it couldn’t be easier. To claim wear and tear allowance, just follow the steps below:

  • log in to your GoSimpleTax account
  • add a “Property” page (details/edit)
  • answer “yes” to “Is this a furnished residential letting?”
  • and “yes” to “Do you want to claim wear and tear allowance on these properties?
  • GoSimpleTax will do the maths for you.

If you would like to claim on a renewals basis, the steps are similar. Add renewals to your expenses and once again, we’ll do the maths for you. This is just one of many tax tips we have to offer.

Trusted by over 15,000 subscribers

You don't need to be an expert to complete your self assessment tax return.

Start your free trial

Blog content is for information purposes and over time may become outdated, although we do strive to keep it current. It's written to help you understand your Tax's and is not to be relied upon as professional accounting, tax and legal advice due to differences in everyone's circumstances. For additional help please contact our support team or HMRC.


Start your Self Assessment tax return today for free.

Sign up Now

How much tax does a landlord need to pay? 10 key questions answered…

18 May 2023

The UK has more than 2.7m unincorporated landlords and each year they report to HMRC rental property income worth some £41bn. Unincorporated landlords are…

How to claim a tax rebate when you’re a sole trader

04 May 2023

Even if it’s only a few quid, finding out that you’re in line for a tax rebate because you’ve paid too much tax is…

21 expenses you can claim as a private residential landlord

02 May 2023

Being a landlord can be costly. There are so many things to buy and expenses to pay, while repairs and maintenance work can really…

How GoSimpleTax Works


Simply register for free with your full name and email address.

Select Your Income

Select the income you receive and follow the hints and tips for potential tax savings.

Validate Your Information

Validate your personal information and submit directly to HMRC to get confirmation in just seconds.


Work Anywhere, With Any Device

Gone are the days of fretting over a calculator surrounded by scraps of paper at the eleventh hour.

GoSimpleTax’s tax return software uses the information you upload in real time to calculate your income and expenditure, working out the tax you owe and sending you helpful notifications when there’s the possibility of a mistake.

Start your free trial

"The software is intuitive and proved very easy to navigate. I found the whole process refreshingly simple. I saved a lot of money too!"

Steve J.

Ordained Presbyter

"Easy to use and value for money. Everything you need to do your tax."

Gordon J.

Self Employed

"It fills in all the forms and sends them to the Inland Revenue. Not expensive either. Takes the stress out of doing your tax return online."

Ross G.

Team Rector

Start your free trial