The tax implications of becoming an accidental landlord

There are some 2.66m private landlords in the UK and many people choose to invest in property to rent, because it can offer excellent returns. However, some become “accidental landlords”, a phenomenon that’s become much more…

5 Minute Read

Last Updated: 5th April 2023

There are some 2.66m private landlords in the UK and many people choose to invest in property to rent, because it can offer excellent returns. However, some become “accidental landlords”, a phenomenon that’s become much more common.

It can happen if you need to move to a new location, perhaps if you land a new job or meet someone from somewhere else, but selling your own property proves tough. Rental income earned can enable you to rent or buy elsewhere.

Frequently, couples move in together, of course, leaving one partner’s property available to rent. Later they might need to move to a larger house after starting a family. Many mature people downsize and renting out a larger house can pay for a smaller place to live, while providing additional spending money. Some people inherit family property that they don’t want to sell or can’t.

Becoming an accidental landlord can generate a nice income, but you need to learn some key tax facts if you want to maximise your returns. The following introduction applies if you’re renting out a flat or house in the UK.


As a private landlord, you must pay Income Tax on your rental property profits, which is the amount that’s left (net) once expenses allowed by (UK tax authority) HMRC have been deducted from the total rental income (gross).

Your tax bill will be determined by the size of your net profit and your personal financial/tax circumstances. You can, of course, rent out more than one property or jointly own a rental property, with a relative, partner or spouse, and you will be taxed according to your share.

If your yearly rental income is more than £2,500 after deducting allowable expenses or £10,000-plus before deductions, you’ll need to report your profits via a Self Assessment tax return (SA100) and pay your subsequent Income Tax bill. But before you can do that, you must register for Self Assessment (if you didn’t submit a Self Assessment tax return the year before). Registering for Self Assessment is free, quick and easy online, but there are different rules if you’ve registered for Self Assessment previously.

If you don’t register before renting out your property, you must do so by 5 October following the tax year (6 April to 5 April) in which you received taxable rental profits, otherwise you risk having to pay a penalty.


You must keep accurate financial records that detail rent you receive and expenses you pay to manage and maintain the property. Using accounting software is highly recommended, because it will save you time, and make things much easier when completing your Self Assessment tax return (SA 100) at the end of the tax year (if you file online the deadline is 31 January after the end of the tax year on 5 April).

You should retain receipts and invoices, because HMRC can ask for proof of your expenses, and ask to look at your bank statements. Keep a log of mileage you drive “wholly and exclusively” for renting out your property, as these can be claimed as an allowable expense. Records must be kept for six years and you can be fined if your records are inaccurate, incomplete or lost.


The standard Personal Allowance is £12,570 if you earn less than £100,000 a year. You’re allowed to earn £12,570 tax-free (slightly more if you claim Marriage Allowance or Blind Person’s Allowance).

The rates are different in Scotland, but in England and Wales:

BandTaxable income    Tax rate
Personal Allowance   Up to £12,5700%
Basic rate £12,571 to £50,27020%
Higher rate£50,271 to £125,14040%
Additional rateOver £125,140


To qualify for allowable expenses, expenses must be “wholly and exclusively” for renting out your property – you cannot claim for personal expenses.

Allowable expenses include:

  • property maintenance and repairs (eg replacing roof tiles or a broken boiler)
  • redecorating between tenancies
  • insurance (eg building, contents and public liability)
  • gardening and cleaning services
  • agent fees/management fees
  • legal fees for lets of a year or less
  • accountancy fees
  • direct costs (eg phone calls, stationery and advertising for new tenants)
  • vehicle costs (only the proportion used for your rental business)
  • mortgage interest payments.

You cannot claim for:

  • property improvements (replacing a carpet with laminate flooring)
  • mortgage capital repayments.


Property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for people who earn income from land or property. If you jointly own property with others, all are eligible for the £1,000 property allowance against their share of the gross rental income.

You may also be able to claim allowances for replacing residential rental property domestic items such as movable furniture (eg beds, wardrobes), furnishings (eg curtains, linen items, carpet, floor coverings), household appliances (eg TVs, fridges, freezers) and kitchenware (eg crockery, cutlery, etc).

When you’re new to renting out property, it’s advisable to seek tailored advice from a qualified professional expert. It could really help to maximise your returns and minimise any tax-related issues.

Sign up for a free trial of GoSimpleTax today.

Trusted by over 20,000 subscribers

You don't need to be an expert to complete your self assessment tax return.

Find Out More

Blog content is for information purposes and over time may become outdated, although we do strive to keep it current. It's written to help you understand your Tax's and is not to be relied upon as professional accounting, tax and legal advice due to differences in everyone's circumstances. For additional help please contact our support team or HMRC.

5 Excellent Reasons to Choose Us

Discover how to make tax returns a doddle...

Find out more

Non-domicile tax rules: what will change from April 2025?

02 May 2024

In March 2024, Jeremy Hunt announced in his spring budget speech that the government would scrap the UK’s current non-dom tax regime and replace…

What if HMRC contacted you about income you’ve earned from selling online?

02 May 2024

If you’re not doing it, you probably know someone who is. Selling stuff via Facebook, eBay, Amazon, Etsy, Vinted and other online marketplaces has…

How to keep track of your side hustle income and expenses

16 Apr 2024

Some believe it’s 15%, others say it’s 25% or even as high as 33%. Whatever the truth, a significant percentage of people in the…

How GoSimpleTax Works


Simply register for free with your full name and email address.

Select Your Income

Select the income you receive and follow the hints and tips for potential tax savings.

Validate Your Information

Validate your personal information and submit directly to HMRC to get confirmation in just seconds.


Work Anywhere, With Any Device

Gone are the days of fretting over a calculator surrounded by scraps of paper at the eleventh hour.

GoSimpleTax’s tax return software uses the information you upload in real time to calculate your income and expenditure, working out the tax you owe and sending you helpful notifications when there’s the possibility of a mistake.

Start your free trial

"The software is intuitive and proved very easy to navigate. I found the whole process refreshingly simple. I saved a lot of money too!"

Steve J.

Ordained Presbyter

"Easy to use and value for money. Everything you need to do your tax."

Gordon J.

Self Employed

"It fills in all the forms and sends them to the Inland Revenue. Not expensive either. Takes the stress out of doing your tax return online."

Ross G.

Team Rector

5 reasons to use GoSimpleTax >