Electronic tax returns were first introduced back in 1997 and, due to their increasing ease of use and simplicity, they are now the most popular method of submitting Self Assessments. So the answer to your question “can I submit my Self Assessment online?” is very simple: yes you can.
Filing online is not only considered by many to be the easy option; it also buys you more time. Digital submissions have a deadline of the 31st January, compared to 31st October for paper tax returns.
But how do you get started? Read on for a simple explanation of the process…
Before asking “can I submit my Self Assessment online?”, you must first make sure you are able to by enrolling for the online service. After registering, you will receive a code in the post, which you’ll need to use to activate your account. You can then fill in your details, including your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) – this will also arrive by post.
You can submit your tax return online through the Government Gateway website. However, this is being gradually phased out, and without expert knowledge on tax and accountancy you may find this difficult to navigate.
An increasingly popular alternative is to utilise Self Assessment software. The perfect middle-ground between the DIY approach and using an accountant, the best tax software will have built-in support to help you submit an accurate Self Assessment.
Straightforward tax software
Our easy-to-use software, GoSimpleTax, is recognised by HMRC and has everything you need to file your tax return online. GoSimpleTax:
- Calculates your tax bill for you, so you won’t struggle with the sums.
- Allows you submit your tax return to HMRC through the software over secure 256-bit encryption. You won’t need to visit the Government Gateway website again, and HMRC will confirm they have received the Self Assessment via email.
- Provides tax-saving suggestions and tips to reduce your tax bill.
- Enables you to record your income and expenses throughout the year, with automatic adjustments to tax calculations, so you’ll be able to view the most up-to-date amount of tax due at any time.
- Allows you to submit various other forms, including the SA106 for foreign income and the SA108 for capital gains.
- Gives access to the GoSimpleTax mobile app, enabling you to complete the Self Assessment tax return even when you’re not at a computer (find out how to submit via a smartphone on our blog).
We hope this has answered the question: “Can I submit my Self Assessment online?” Our software can truly simplify your tax returns, making it as quick and easy as possible. We’ve done the hard work, so you don’t have to. If you want to see these features in action, you can take a 14-day trial of GoSimpleTax’s online software today.